Nextek Ltd who find solutions to the challenges of the plastic recycling and resource management and Earth Champions who nurture and protect the environment through initiating change within local communities.have teamed up to prevent plastic granules entering the ocean.
The team at Catch Plastics strongly believe that we need to act now to protect our oceans and prevent the plastics at the source of the problem before getting into the ocean.
Prof Edward KosiorHere Designation
Professor Edward Kosior:
Edward has over 37 years’ experience in plastics and rubber he has worked globally with many government and commercial organisations. His expertise is based on 23years as an academic and 14 years working with the recycling of plastics packaging including the design of many modern plants and achieving patented recycling breakthroughs. He is a regular speaker at international conferences presenting the latest developments and commercial opportunities arising from new technologies.
He established Nextek Ltd in 2004 to provide consultancy services to assist the development strategic approaches to sustainable packaging, waste reduction and minimal life cycle impact. He is involved with many industry associations, universities, and research organisations and is a Fellow of the Society of Plastics Engineering. He also provides support to organisations such as the Earth Champions Foundation, Plastics Oceans, Project Kaisei and Plastics Marine Litter Advisory Board
Fiona MatthewsHere Designation
Founder and CEO of Earth Champions Foundation
President of Greenhouse Action Australia 1994 –1997 and an Executive of Memtec inventors of membrane micro-filtration. Member of UN Commission for Sustainable Development (CSR). Fellow of the Royal Society of the Arts (RSA) previously worked as a reporter for the ABC in Australia, Mexico and New York.
Fiona believes local heroes make a global impact. The aim of the Earth Champions Foundation is to:
– Involve and inspire people by encouraging them to discover, nominate and celebrate those in their communities who are working to protect and preserve our planet
– Share locally, nationally and globally the practical and environmentally friendly solutions which are unearthed
– Educate and engage people in practices to slow climate change and to sustain life in their communities.
– Create an ongoing Foundation that ensures continuity of the awards and regularly benchmark the improvements
– Train Earth Champions’ teams to teach and develop ‘best practices’ locally and celebrate these teams globally every four years, prior to the Olympic Games
– Provide a point of reference that demonstrates the most healthy valid and effective practices
– Encourage technology transfers of knowledge through an interactive website The Knowledge Pond.
– Enable comparison of how other nations seek to conserve their habitats, facilitating cooperation on common problems
Madeleine Taylor:Here Designation
UK programmes Manager Earth Champions.
MSc Environmental Change and International Development, University of Sheffield, BA (Hons) Human Geography.
Madeleine has extensive experience working with youth groups, diverse communities and on gender equality projects
Dr Jon MitchellHere Designation
Jon is a Project Engineer with postgraduate qualifications in Polymer Engineering and Polymer composites. He has considerable experience in plastics processing and polymer material science. Jon is skilled in material analysis and process improvement and research program management.
Irene CrescenziHere Designation
Manager at Earth Champions foundation who shares the global goals of the people who are preserving and protecting our planet.
Irene co-authored the plastics ocean report with Professor Edward Kosior.
Kelvin DaviesHere Designation
Kelvin is a Chemist with over 20 years’ experience in manufacturing, packaging and food processing sector. He has strong background in converting technologies for polymers and other packaging materials and a thorough understanding of materials used in packaging and new developments. Kelvin joined Nextek in 2009 and is currently the Australasian Projects Manager based in Melbourne Australia he is focused on working with the packaging supply chain to deliver sustainable solutions for polymers and recycling.